Thursday, August 04, 2005

Fame? Fortune? Fingers? French?

I'm getting profiled in Graduate Prospects non-academic HEI jobs - I didn't even know there was one!

Administering medicine

Nine months of temping brought Phil Maull to his current job of administrator of the Graduate Entry Programme in Medicine at Swansea University.

Phil became a temporary clerical assistant at the university’s medical school soon after he graduated in history (and English!) from the university in 2001. He says he was successful in gaining his permanent job because of a combination of his knowledge of the school gained while temping, the organisational skills learnt during his degree and his customer service experience gained working in retail sales.

The programme Phil administers is four years of study for graduates who want to become doctors. He says: ‘I am lucky in that my job is extremely varied. In theory I administer the Graduate Entry Programme, but this has developed into overseeing many different aspects of the course, including marketing, admissions and organising social functions - along with looking after current and future students. I also act as office manager with the team and, together with my colleagues, ensure the programme runs smoothly and meets the programme specification, and that student concerns are addressed.’

Particular responsibilities range from seeing that the interview process for prospective student(s) is properly organised to writing and developing the website and brochure for the programme. Phil is about to gain an extended role for which he says ‘I am currently developing my team management skills as well as my knowledge of the university financial procedures.’

The wide-ranging responsibilities keep Phil on his toes ensuring everything is completed to deadline and no aspects are ignored: ‘This often means working several years ahead, which can make it difficult to remember what year it is.’

His efforts are rewarded, he says, ‘when I have seen potential candidates that I have spoken to possibly several years ago become applicants, come to interview and then join the programme.’

Being an effective university administrator is not, however, the limit of Phil’s ambitions. He is studying part-time for an MA in History. ‘I hope to go on to study a PhD and eventually go into lecturing in the field of modern history. In the meantime, I am committed to developing the programme and the team to ensure that everything runs smoothly as we increase the number of students coming through the programme. I hope I have the skills and patience to become an effective manager and leader.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home