Thursday, June 07, 2007

Rough Ride 2007

...and another hill, around the 20 mile mark

Matt takes time out to practice his karaoke

Yes that is a look of pain...my knee went 12 miles ago!

Stunning scenery - just why is it all uphill!

And my prize from the raffle...

Race times:
Matt 5:57:10

Phil 5:57:21

This was TOUGH. After 8 miles of almost constant climbing my knee went again, so we had to do the short route. I almost had to retire but deep heat, painkillers and my competitive steel kept me going. Plus when the occasional downhills came up they were AMAZING! Pity about the climbs up on either side! The toughest section was the last few miles of almost constant climing with a fast, muddy dirt track down to the finish (followed by another hill to the campsite!). I almost cam off twice, one on the track just before the finish after hitting a particulrly slippery patch, and once downhilling through a gate in some grass, but managed to hold both. I did sort of crash trying to jump a tractor rut but so did several others so I didn't feel quite as much of an idiot as I could have!

Well worth it and next year, hopefully uninjured and unhindered by a cold we are going to attempt the full 78km route (map to follow once I can get to a scanner).

For more info, full race times and official photos click here http://www.roughride.co.uk/and here http://www.sleepmonsters.com/photoshop.php?basket_ID=1181210300&event_id=4837&gallery_id=1421&photo_id=4

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really did it. Goddamn. I think we should feel quite proud of ourselves.

It's very noble of you to publish the fact that I beat you (by a full 11 seconds, let's not forget)

I haven't done any exercise since (although, to be fair, I have been at Download)

12:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home